GVFD responds to structure fire

According to Mark Ostergard with the Gothenburg Volunteer Fire Department, a call came in at 2:54 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 28 of a structure fire on Washington Street. Ostergard said a family that rented the house had just started moving in and had set some items on the stove, and likely accidentally bumped the stove on. They left to go get more things and that is when the fire started. Ostergard said damage was substantial throughout the home, particularly in the kitchen area. A total of 22 GVFD firemen responded with six pieces of equipment, and remained on scene for about an hour and a half. There were no injuries.